March Meet The Maker- Week 1

Good morning all,

I hope you've all been safe and well this week and the snow hasn't caused you too many disruptions. The road into work, for me, has been impassable so I've had to work from home - the road is still closed now but hoping the snow will have melted by tomorrow! 

I thought I'd just stop by and tell you about March Meet The Maker a photo challenge I'm taking part in over on Instagram. It's set up By Joanne Hawker for makers, like me, to share a little bit more about ourselves and our work.



 Each day has as different prompt to get us all talking and sharing. I thought I'd post the first few days with you here...

Day 1: You


I'm a Lichfield girl currently living in Wiltshire. I stitch house and venue portraits using free-motion embroidery and love really cute, quaint buildings (so lucky round here with the Cotswolds just a stone's throw away)  I love teaching workshops as well as attending as many as I can. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all over the course of March :)

Day 2: Where


 Here! In my little house in Wiltshire. I'm originally from Lichfield and go home to my parents as often as I can. I now live and work in Wiltshire by day I'm an Interior Designer and in my spare time stitch houses or teach workshops!

Day 3: How you started


 I've always been creative when I was little I'd buy paper plates with my pocket money, decorate then with paints and felt tips then 'sell them' from the Wendy house at the end of my garden! My poor parents were my only customer! 

Since then I went to uni and got a degree in Fine Art it wasn't really for me so I went back to uni and studied a few modules in surface pattern design. This was a lot more up my street!

A few years later I was bought a pink sewing machine for my birthday with not a clue how to use it I set about learning. I knew I wanted to do free-motion embroidery but had no clue how trying to do it with the normal foot in and feed dogs up! A few books later and I was hooked on drawing with my machine and stitched this card for my mum for Mothers day. She loved it so much she said I should stitch house portraits for other people and commissioned me to stitch one for her friends birthday. The rest, they say, is history....


Day 4: Favourite to make



Surprise, surprise, I love stitching house and venue portraits they just fill me with happy. Adding just a little pop of colour and capturing the character of the building in stitch is the best.

I have also recently started to design wedding stationery commissions. I'm very new to to wedding stationery but it's definitely something I'd like to pursue, to be a part of somebody's big day is a lovely idea.


If you'd like to take part it's not to late just use the hashtag #marchmeetthemaker and get involved. Lots of makers are sharing stories about themselves and their work so head over to Instagram and take a look...  https://www.instagram.com/may_i_design_/


Hope you have a happy Sunday, Keep warm 

xx